
Do you have any suggestions or recommendations for must see things while in Addis? Restaurants, Art Galleries, Markets, etc. ? Is there something you wished you would have skipped or something you are really bummed that you missed? Heidi will definitely appreciate the tips. And each comment will count as an entry in the drawing for this awesome deck of cards.
If there are any Ethiopian holidays happening, then I would definitely find some way to participate. We were there over Ethiopian Epiphany and it was amazing. Also, if you go to Kaldi's, please have a chocolate croissant for me or two or three. And the Lime Tree has awesome juices and teas! I can't remember the name of the art gallery right now. But ask Solomon ... he will always find the answer for you. You hosts at the guest house and your driver will always be your best resource!!!
ReplyDeleteI wanted to go to the Ethiopian National Museum in Addis, but didn't get the chance. It looked pretty cool when we drove by it!
ReplyDelete~Anne
nope but please take oddles of pic's to share with those of us who have yet to travel:)
ReplyDeleteLOOOOOOVED the Church of the Holy Trinity, or Holy Trinity Cathedral, whatever it's called. I hope Belay does the tour for you... he is so knowledgeable! The info on how the Arc of the Covenant came to ET was so interesting!
ReplyDeleteLove the National Museum.
Lion Zoo was kinda sad... but my boys liked it. Sorta. :-)
First up, gotta say that my husband (who doesn't really like blogs) just walked past, saw the pictures of your boys and said 'hey, those kids are CUTE! I hope our twins are that cute when they are older!' And he's a man, so noticing other people's cute children is HIGH PRAISE.
ReplyDeleteAs for stuff... I really wanted to go to the former wood carrier's workshop, which is apparently a great place for picking up handmade souveneirs. Anyway, I had the bradt guide (which is mostly a VERY good guidebook) but the info in there was out of date and despite spending a whole afternoon looking, my mother and I never found it. Soooo.... my tip is DO NOT try to find that place using the Bradt guide :)
To be honest... we were so shellshocked for most of our time on our visit to get the babies that prett ymuch all we did was go to Kaldi's. Not cool, I know, but amazing coffee. Have a caramel macchiato. Oh, the DELICIOUSNESS. Or the cinnamon mocha one. ditto.
On the previous trip, we just ate out a lot. And the food was wonderful. So that's my tip - but not sure how possible that will be with the kiddos!!
We went to the Ethnological Museum on the campus of the university in Addis Ababa, it was a really nice way to get a big picture idea of culture in Ethiopia. As an added bonus, the building it's in used to be Haile Selasie's palace and there's some cool info about him and about the Italian occupation as well.
ReplyDeleteWe also went to the former firewood carriers association (or a name similar to that...), it's like a co-operative where women who used to carry firewood for a living can now make a better living weaving scarves that you can buy.
Ditto Gayla on the lion zoo...very sad and I would've rather not gone.
ReplyDeleteThe cafe "La Parisienne" has wonderful macchiatos and pastries--we went there twice.
Also loved the leprosy hospital. We wanted to go to Sabahar and watch the silk weavers, but didn't get the chance.
I would talk to your driver--tell him what kind of things you are interested in and let him guide you. Our driver (solomon--who I love and miss!) took us to a great museum up on top of the mountain--great view of Addis and interesting museum. sorry I can't remember the name...
ReplyDeleteI would take advantage of the baby sitters as much as you feel comfortable. It's good for you to get out and see the city and the boys are with people they know and love.
Shopping--there are lots of shops by the post office, there is a weaver's co-op and there is a government shop (lots of different crafts and venders) with set prices (decent prices)--all places your driver should be able to take you to.
embassy appt--don't take a ton of stuff because you have to get it all through security but definitly take anything you might need. we were there for 4 hours! water, snacks, small toys, diapers (?) etc. It was SO hot in that room too...packed with people.
Communicating w/ the US--I think it's best to assume you WON"T be able to call/email the states very often while you are in Addis. When we were there internet service was down for most of the week and phone calls are really expensive. So best to let people at home know you might not be able to call home, just so they are prepared. Before you go check with your cell phone provider re how much it will cost to call or text the states from ET. We found with our iphones (at&t) that it was only 50cents per text to the states so that is how we mostly kept in contact with our families. We sent several texts a day to my father-in-law who then emailed our news to the rest of the family.
THis has nothing to do with touring Addis but I just thought of it: we started our night time ritual the very first night with the twins and continue to do it every night. There as so many changes, I think it helps to have at least one thing that stays exactly the same from the moment you meet them, to do something both in ET and at home.
oh--and for packing: ziplock bags. I am a firm believer in using/packign extra ziplock bags. All sizes--snack size to those big XLL ones you can put basketballs in. YOu just never know when you'll need them! I packed most of our clothes in the big xxl ones, sucked the air out to make them flat and then gave them to our caregivers when we left (they asked for them). ziplocks and wipes...my two essentials :-)
I'm sorta jealous you are about to go...this is such a crazy amazing once-in-a-lifetime trip, I'm feeling all envious. Enjoy every minute--even the waiting. These are your last few days like this--as a couple, as a person-your life will never be like this again. try to enjoy every single feeling and moment. you will be in addis soon enough so now try to be in the present...you will never again be like this, wondering what they are like, wondering what's to come... this anticipation only comes once. try to drink it all in. HAVE FUN! oxoxo-kat
We loved the restaurant SERENADE, east of Piazza, off Tewodros St. Most taxi drivers can get you there. Definitely call first and make reservations (0911 200072). It was the last romantic and quiet meal we had before our boys!
ReplyDeleteI also highly recommend the Former Women's Fuelwood Carriers Project off Entoto Ave. They sell amazing scarfs for a good cause. I must have brought home about 15 and they were wonderful gifts.
Have a great trip!
I was stuck at the hotel most of the week with Macy Birtukan b/c it wasn't best for her to go back the orphanage. When we go back, I do NOT want to miss seeing AHOPE or another orphanage serving orphans with HIV. I think that we HAVE to have our eyes opened more to this situation to see that these are truly just regular kids that REALLY need families...b/c seeing it will make a big difference in each of our hearts. Anyway, have a blast! Ethiopia is amazing!
ReplyDeleteI would like to have visited the National Museum, which we didn't do either time we were in ET. I also felt like I didn't buy enough ET clothing for our girls. Get multiple outfits in multiple sizes! Oh, and buy a map at the Mapping Authority of where your children are from. I went, but it was lunchtime, and no one could help me.
ReplyDeleteRebecca - you RULE!
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to chime in as someone who hasn't traveled yet, to say this is such an amazing thing you're doing.
Your topics have generated such valuable tips for all the waiting families.
Even when Heidi isn't trying to, she's passing along her support to the rest of our community. :)
I'm loving this and my new found sisters!
xo
So much to see and do!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE Sabahar (in Mekanisa near Salam nursing college)for wonderful raw silk gifts and shopping along the post office provides all that you need for last minute gifts. You can find great local art (albeit a bit pricy) and good Italian food at Makush on Bole. As mentioned above, the Former Women's Fuelwood Carriers Project does have amazing things (and a hillarious name......what were they before being women???). Entoto MT is nice for views as is Top view restaurant. Go to Tomoka for coffee to drink as well as take home. Sigh....have fun! So jealous! Enjoy it as much as you possibly can! Have a few dinners alone! I echo Evelyn....who knows when that will happen again! :)
Ooh, I posted my idea on the wrong place, but if you like coffee PLEASE go to Tomoca ASAP. We didn't find out about it until Sunday, and then we left on Tuesday. The macchiatos are amazing. The atmosphere is unparalleled. Our driver, Yoftahe, told us about it.
ReplyDeleteAnd the ice cream at Kaldi's is very good.
Enjoy every minute!!!!
There is a wonderful art gallary/restaurant within walking distance from the Bejoe. I am sure you can find out directions easily. The art is beautiful! And the wine and pizza are good as well. Check it out.
ReplyDeleteWe had lunch yesterday with a local family who adopted with another agency last year--anyway, I was asking her about things she bought over there, and she mentioned these ideas that I really liked:
ReplyDelete--buying white scarves with pink or blue trim to give as baby gifts here at home
--buying a white scarf for a daughter to have on her wedding day...to sew in her dress, or wrap around her bouquet, or whatever...and I thought that in our cases, that might be a neat thing to give to our boys' future brides.